It seems these days that there is a new festival announced every day. Many of which only last a few years. One festival that has managed not only to survive but to thrive and grow each year is Nelsonville Music Festival. From it’s innaugural fest in 2005 it has grown from a 1 day, 5 band event to a 4 day 56 band event. This year they hosted legends such as John Prine, Mavis Staples and Wilco as well as indie rock darlings Cat Power, Calexico and Sharon Van Etten.
- Favorite moment: Seeing Mavis Staples and Jeff Tweedy play “You’re Not Alone” together right before a torrential downpour.
- Least favorite moment: Realizing that wearing a bandana for the first two days of the festival results in a odd tan line.
- Best show of the weekend: Gogol Bordello
- Best new discovery (for me): Joe Pug
- Best surprise: Chatting with Joey Burns of Calexico from the photo pit before their show.